Friday, April 11, 2014

Kostroma Friday 11th. April

Bortsch , blinis, suchi and Macdonalds.

If I was to comment as a food critic of the Russian diet and culinary skills, I wouldn't know where to start.
It's easy for the 'so called' food critics to knock restaurants and food in general, basically because they haven't got a fxxxxxxx clue what they are talking about!

I am sure that if a certain food critic from my area came to Russia they would rip their cuisine to pieces.

Russian food is simple, everyday food consists of soups, vegetables, fish, bread, pasta, sweet tea, it is practical and to use a pedagogical term, 'Fit for purpose'.

We discussed stereotypes today in our class and of course Vodka was mentioned regarding a Russian stereotypical man.
You need vodka in Russia! It's bloody freezing! I will post some photos of Ice fishermen on the river Kostroma, they bloody well need the vodka!

After walking aorund the city yesterday for a while, the best thing in the world to warm you up is a bowl of Bortsch. We had our lunch in the Local Government Cafeteria and it felt like another era! It was  like something out of a Spy thriller. I am sure the KGB were there!

Russian food has its identity, it is Russian, the vegetables that are the most delicious are usually preserved from the Family's Dacha. I absolutely love the idea of the forest and the Dacha.
Natural resources are abundent, I was told of a woman who collected wild Dill, got on the bus and shared it out with the passengers. Food is appreciated , I think that because of the climate, it is also treat with respect.

I have to visit Russia in the summer and spend some time in the forest and experience mushroom picking and the process of preserving food.

You never know it might inspire me to re-launch Abigail's pantry!

No comments: