Thursday, March 31, 2011

50 Books to read before you die No 5 Frankenstein

The second book from the 19 century with a similar theme to that of Moby Dick. Revenge! This book of course is one of the forerunners of Gothic Horror stories, interestingly I always thought that the Vampire story was based in Bram Stoker's Dracula, It seems that Lord Byron had a lot to do with the beginnings of the tale.
I also always thought that ' The Bride of Frankenstein' was a bit of a joke Hammer Horror sequel, but how wrong I was, Mary Shelley has poor old Doctor Frankenstein ditching the future Mrs. Fiend in a basket in the waters somewhere near the Orkneys. I have ordered the oldest DVD film (1934) and hopefully nearest to the story of Frankenstein.
I must admit I did enjoy this book and I am glad that I made the effort to read it. I know there are lots of messages about the industrial revolution and Godwinian philosophy, but its still a really scary story!

Where next? Well, it's time for a short story and one I do not know anything about, including the writer.
Joseph Conrad and 'Heart of Darkness' To be followed by a film (but not a book) that I do know, Alice Walker's The Color Purple.

No comments: