Tuesday, March 15, 2011

50 Books to read before you die No 4. Moby Dick

Some thoughts on Moby Dick.
I am about half way through the book now and I must admit, it has really surprised me in the sense of the style of writing. I guess I expected a book that would be written in a more simple style, probably because of my memories of the film and knowledge of the story. Well I couldn't have been more wrong!
In one sense this is an encyclopaedia of all things Whaling. Detailed accounts of species and equipment, all things nautical, of which I can only imagine how these amazing sailing ships worked.
I love the writer's short chapters, especially when describing the Crew which represents the Human race.
Clearly recognised as a classic novel, it is more than obvious that this will jump to number one of my top 50, when I have finished it!

No comments: