Monday, July 22, 2019

Bogovarovo

From the first time, I heard the name of this town and since I arrived in Russia, I have wanted to visit this town. If you look on the map it is in the far reaches of the Oblast and really into the last frontier!
 Like Vohkma, Bogorovo is a really important dairy area producing pretty decent cheese. I find most russian cheese 'ordinary' but I like the cheese from this area. I am spoilt of course by my experiences with French cheese!

The older of the two churches in Bogovarovo.


Like most country towns there is a cathedral or huge church. in this case the town has 2! With a population of less than 2,000 amd declining of course. To be fair one of the cathedrals is used for other activities and the working cathedral looks really smart.

The church and Chistianity in Russia has gone through very dark times and I am only beginning to see the legacy of the communist regime on the church.

No comments: