Thursday, May 09, 2019

Солига́лич

Солига́лич


My trip to Солига́лич [Soligalich] was arranged by my new friends and colleagues Yulia and Lubov,who are both language teachers at Солига́лич school. a large school with  around 800 students.




The journey started at Kostroma bus station, I managed to ask about the platform and get on the correct bus.

Well in my experience this is a mini bus , but with curtains, but quite a new vehicle,it has to be said!
F. Scott Fitzgerald 
A 5 hour journey was in front of me, but I am a good traveller and I had my current book to accompany me on the journey.


 
                                       
Soligalich is situated in the north of Kostroma Oblast, 200+ km from Kostroma and 550+ from Moscow. Oh and by the way it is 1644 [2645km] miles from my home town Middlesbrough!

We passed through towns such as  Судисла́вль Га́лич and Чухлома.with views of amazing countryside and lakes on the way.I was on  my way into the real Russian countryside, without a doubt.
Then we approached Pothole Hell! The road seemed to get more and more bumpy, but I persevered with my reading and enjoyed the views.
We arrived in the town on a beautiful warm, no hot! day and I managed to get off the bus at the school where Yulia was waiting for me. [ My transactional Russian is definetly improving!]


After meeting Yulia and Lubov , we were invited for a tour of the town. The students of English did a terrific job with their tour and I was impressed straight away by their English!
The beauty of the Holy Mother's Virgin Cathedral took my breath away, especially when I was told it was not open for use and in danger of  further deteriation. I commented had this been in Italy for example, it would have been a World Heritage site  swarming with tourists.
The church in Russia is and has had a tough time throughout its history that's for sure and there is no other place, that I have so far visited  in Russia other than Soligalich, that can confirm this.
More was to come as we walked through the beautiful quiet streets around the town.

The Resurrection monastery is a sight to be believed and it will stay in my heart for the rest of my life.  Time, Lightening and neglect has left this magnificent building to the elements, So sad!
Another sad story touched my heart as we moved around the town. A former home for disabled children, deserted with a children's playground left in an unkemp state. American sponsors had apparently pulled out of the project and although I do not have the full story, I can't help thinking that politics are to blame.
It may seem as though I am painting a drab, sad picture of this town, well to be honest this is part of its magic in my opinion. We walked further and came across the river Kostroma, or the Kostromska, as it is a fast running shallow river, no doubt teeming with fish and an abundance of wildlife which cheered me up no end! 
 I was just a bit jealous of this fisherman, fly fishing on the river just outside my hotel. I don't know if he caught any fish, but it was such a perfect day. 

 At last! I felt organised, I had remembered my Binoculars and my camera was charged correctly, 
A pair of large ducks zig zagging across the current of the Kostroma river in Soligalich.

 I was delighted to see some wildlife and just a bit jealous of the fisherman enjoying the wonderful weather.
         Not sure yet what this is but I took this shot from my hotel bedroom window. Wonderful!
 My hotel / boarding house on the right bank of the river Kostroma.
After the tour we spent some time with the students, visiting classes and practising our English. I was made to feel very welcome by the students and enjoyed listening, chatting and discussing English life and traditions as well as Russian life and how it is to live in Soligalich. The students are very proud [rightly so!] of their town and it shows! 

   Many students expressed the desire and in all honesty, the probability of leaving their home town to find work , study and hopefully return to contribute to their community.











 Have you ever had the feeling that someone is watching you? 







No comments: