Saturday, May 04, 2019

красное на волге

красное на волге
Or in its English literal translation. Red on the Volga is the first of the towns in my tour of Kostroma Oblast.
I have visited this town now on a few ocassions, the last of which I was helping on the Dacha of Olga's family.
Having had an allotment of my own for a few years back in Yorkshire, I was delighted to help and enjoyed the trip to the country.
[Red] Krasnoe on the Volga is an important centre for jewellery and you would think that this would mean it is a rich town an affluent town, well it is not. Far from it. and in many ways reminds me of East Cleveland and towns like Skinningrove and Loftus. set in amazingly beautiful countryside, breathtaking countryside in fact , yet , just that bit grubby for want of a better word.
As I am without shame an adopted country boy, I appreciate nature as much as any 'Townie' could ever do and I wasn't dissapointed with my visit to Krasnoe. Ever ready with my camera, but of course I had forgotten my binoculars! I caught a couple of natives in action.
Dragons! probably in fact just a common lizard, who was a bit peed off when I disturbed his hibernation in the compost heap.
And a majestic raptor. Probably a buzzard, but at first I thought I had seen an Osprey and got very excited. I have seen this type of bird on every occasion now, so it is clearly a regular on the Volga and aroud the marshlands.
The lands around the Volga here are covered in acres of marshland, it is just wakening up from the long winter freeze and the smell of rotting vegetation is overpowering as we made our way across the rickety rackety pathways of boards and planks.
But oh my goodness it was worth it!
The Volga seems to run into space and forever, This mighty river never ceases to amaze me and please me with its beauty.
A distance blob on the horizon turned out to be a fisherman waist deep in the spring water of the endless lakes and ponds on and about the waterland.
In this shot, you can se the chimneys of Volgarechensck. A place where fish farms produce caviar!
A place to visit without doubt!
A visit to Krasnoe is always welcome and I will be back, maybe to help with the Dacha, maybe just to take in more sights around the Volga.








No comments: